Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Blue light oily fluid?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my thermostat housing was fine and seemed stout. The gasket crumbled. I'm wondering if in fact it isn't the gasket which is the "known Issue." The housing seemed way more secure and precise than the pot metal thermostat housings I'm familiar with on other cars.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM
ej
3rd Gear
Coolant leak

Thanks to this post, I was able to diagnosis the mysterious blue clear liquid appearing on my garage floor for the past couple weeks. Took it to the dealer today and got the thermostat housing/gasket replaced under warranty. Thanks guys!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, it's damned annoying that problems like this go on for years and years and years with MINI, and they never bother improving the crappy failing parts on the new models.

Do you suppose that every thermostat housing ever made will fail, and they will replace them? What a crock of .... as a way to run a business.

Not the way I'd like a corporation to behave if I am ever going to buy another car from them...

Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
67/327
1st Gear
The hydraulic fluid in the power steering is blue but turns dark as time passes. It's a special light fluid and might be worth checking out.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Mine has a bluish drip hanging on to bottom edge of oil pan area on right side of engine just below serpentine belt/pullys.

I also noticed that on the back side of the belt ( smooth side ) there is a ridge of hardened grease/dirt that must be from where the pully tensioner makes contact with the belt ???

But, I also have no drips on my garage floor either ?

Going in Tuesday for a look see, I have about 3 weeks left on my waranty.....

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRick
You know, it's damned annoying that problems like this go on for years and years and years with MINI, and they never bother improving the crappy failing parts on the new models.

Do you suppose that every thermostat housing ever made will fail, and they will replace them? What a crock of .... as a way to run a business.

Not the way I'd like a corporation to behave if I am ever going to buy another car from them...
Not sure if you ever owned a Harley or not......But just like ALL Harley Davidsons, it may just be part of life in owning a MINI.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wonderful, 4 months later, and I'm leaking coolant again...I'm at 85,000 miles now....going to visit Danny next week.

Richard

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
My '05 is out of warranty--76,000 miles. I had the thermostat housing replaced by Minicorsa. It was toast..no surprise it had been leaking. Silly design issue that's affecting so many '05s.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
RudyT
4th Gear
I think you can add me to this infamous list...

Havn't driven the MINI in 4 days as it was stored in a Garage... Moved it out 10 feet out onto my driveway today where I left it all day. Tonight as I casually drove it back into the garage, I notice a greenish blue oily substance on the driveway... Checked the fluids and notice the engine coolant was below MIN. Not sure this is normal but I am guess at this point its the engine coolant...

After it sits in my garage now after an hour, no leaks to speak of. Not sure what to do at this point. Call it in to the dealership or keep motoring ?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Top it off and keep motoring. See how rapidly it loses fluid.

Some leak constantly. When mine did it, it was truly intermittent... it would leave a puddle, then wouldn't do it again for days or weeks. Then would do it again. Mine was the thermostat gasket (not a cracked thermostat housing).

Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RudyT
I think you can add me to this infamous list...

Havn't driven the MINI in 4 days as it was stored in a Garage... Moved it out 10 feet out onto my driveway today where I left it all day. Tonight as I casually drove it back into the garage, I notice a greenish blue oily substance on the driveway... Checked the fluids and notice the engine coolant was below MIN. Not sure this is normal but I am guess at this point its the engine coolant...

After it sits in my garage now after an hour, no leaks to speak of. Not sure what to do at this point. Call it in to the dealership or keep motoring ?
My 2 cents...Take it to the dealership, sounds like the thermostat, as mentioned previously....Have them check the engine mounts while they are down there...

Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
RudyT
4th Gear
Will do... Have an appointment next week. FYI.. for those in question as to what fluid to top off the engine coolant with...

The BMW brand engine coolant is the same (part number and product) as the MINI engine coolant. However its a 50/50 solution mix, meaning that you need to mix 1 part coolant to 1 part of distilled water.

I felt like a chemist in my garage mixing the two for some sort of racing car.. Oh yea.. My MINI !

Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's gonna leak after you drive it, when the air in the system heats up and expands. It will stop leaking after cooling down.

Please replace the thermostat housing and gasket soon, so this thread can die...

Old 09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Why on Earth anyone would design a critical part that handles super hot liquid with plastic? In particular this part is difficult to get to. It sounds like to me, this is just a matter of when not if the housing will fail!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
dark looking fluid on left side under neath

I think I will investigate this as well, I noticed underneath the drivers side bottom of the engine looks like some kind of dark looking grease and does not smell like oil, perhaps I have this thermostat leak as well since I have not yet changed my coolant

cheers

Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
not coolant leak

got my car back from the dealer, new passenger engine mount and new oil pan gasket - that was the leak at the bottom of the engine

-acceleration is a bit smoother some improvement but I think the car is just getting old - not new anymore 70K KM

Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Top it off and keep motoring. See how rapidly it loses fluid.

Some leak constantly. When mine did it, it was truly intermittent... it would leave a puddle, then wouldn't do it again for days or weeks. Then would do it again. Mine was the thermostat gasket (not a cracked thermostat housing).
Mine did this when I got back from VIR last Sunday. Off to Flow.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
I have the blue fluid leak. It's almost clear, and my coolant overflow tank is way below Min. When the car's cool, the overflow tank has only a bit of liquid at the bottom.

My question is, before I can get to a dealer for a repair, can I just top off the coolant and be OK? I mean, I have never gotten any warning light, and my temp gauge (stock) never goes beyond the halfway mark. But that might not mean everthing's alright. Right?

Ken

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
RudyT
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kentiki
I have the blue fluid leak. It's almost clear, and my coolant overflow tank is way below Min. When the car's cool, the overflow tank has only a bit of liquid at the bottom.

My question is, before I can get to a dealer for a repair, can I just top off the coolant and be OK? I mean, I have never gotten any warning light, and my temp gauge (stock) never goes beyond the halfway mark. But that might not mean everthing's alright. Right?

Ken
Sitting here at the dealership now, from a 2.5 hour drive, I can attest to you having two options... You can either buy some distilled water and top off your coolant tank till your able to make the trip to the dealership or find a near buy BMW dealership and buy the official coolant. The BMW branded coolant is the same part number as what MINI dealerships use, however you will still need to buy distilled water as the coolant will need diluted; one part water one part coolant.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RudyT
Sitting here at the dealership now, from a 2.5 hour drive, I can attest to you having two options... You can either buy some distilled water and top off your coolant tank till your able to make the trip to the dealership or find a near buy BMW dealership and buy the official coolant. The BMW branded coolant is the same part number as what MINI dealerships use, however you will still need to buy distilled water as the coolant will need diluted; one part water one part coolant.

Thank you! I'll pour in some distilled water till I can get to the dealer.

Ken

Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
What is the extimated cost the dealers are charging for this repair?

I just pulled out of the garage this morning and noticed the nice blue oily leak. Car is 3 yrs 1 month old and 37K miles....did they put a timer on this thing to keep the service departments busy???

Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You're under warranty for 4 years and 50,000 miles... the 3yrs/36,000 only applies to the free MAINTENANCE (oil changes, etc.).

Your fix should be free.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to use the Blue BMW coolant. They use that in the BMW Range Rover I have. If you look in your manual it will tell you what kind it uses. You can't use the orange stuff though.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
You're under warranty for 4 years and 50,000 miles... the 3yrs/36,000 only applies to the free MAINTENANCE (oil changes, etc.).

Your fix should be free.
Sweet!!! You just made my day!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Alas, Aero has developed the slow slight but annoying coolant leak like many of his siblings. Now the question is when to take him in. Anyone having any luck getting the blue coolant at BMW dealers?

Last edited by AeroJammin; 10-27-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 PM
runningerin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
Alas, Aero has developed the slow slight but annoying coolant leak like many of his siblings. Now the question is when to take him in. Anyone having any luck getting the blue coolant at BMW dealers?
My Black Beauty now has the dreaded Blue Oil Leak at 24,000! No problem getting the coolant at Tom Williams BMW in B'ham. $19.25 for a gallon. Guess I'll top off 'til I can get to Atlanta for service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue light oily fluid?