Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension R56 lowering springs: options and specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&R
Eibach
Cross

Hope that helps some

Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
KW have springs avaliable now.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minihune
Using lowering springs you put more stress on the stock shocks.

Probably they will last about 12,000-20,000 miles depending on how you drive, loads your carry, and your driving style.

I had H-sport springs and stock shocks and after about one year and 10,000 miles with just me in the car my shocks were definitely not as good as when new. Ride quality got very harsh enough that no one wanted to ride with me on the street.
So question... My R56 S w/ sport suspension rides like a damn hillbilly chevy w/a 14in lift and 44 inch mud tires. If lowering my car will blow the shocks cant I just buy dropped shocks? OR ARE we talking the whole set up.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by matty125
So question... My R56 S w/ sport suspension rides like a damn hillbilly chevy w/a 14in lift and 44 inch mud tires. If lowering my car will blow the shocks cant I just buy dropped shocks? OR ARE we talking the whole set up.
There are different concerns going on at the same time.

Ride height- do you want to be lower or same as stock.
Ride quality for street use- do you want more comfort or are you willing to compromise some comfort for better cornering.
Performance- is this a priority that you are willing to trade off vs comfort
Looks- is ride height important or not.

You can't generally change shocks for ride height adjustment. You can add lowering springs or upgrade the whole suspension like the JCW kit or a coilover kit.

On the older R50/R53 you could add Koni FSD shocks to help with both cornering and comfort.

You can always add upgraded shocks with lowering springs rather than just lowering springs. Using runflats makes the ride less comfortable. Try letting a little air pressure out.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
txwerks
Banned
Our prototypes should be on the way to us this week... They will maintain the factory bias as far as rates go (one reason the R56 handles BETTER out of the box than the R50/R53 platform), be linear and cold wound, and we're going for a 1" drop up front and 3/4" drop in the rear... More info to come after we thrash the incoming protos!

I am amazed that MINI made a BIG change to spring rates and free lengths to the R56 platform - when I initially drove the car, I noted just how much less understeer there was from the factory and the spring rates don't lie!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
Our prototypes should be on the way to us this week... They will maintain the factory bias as far as rates go (one reason the R56 handles BETTER out of the box than the R50/R53 platform), be linear and cold wound, and we're going for a 1" drop up front and 3/4" drop in the rear... More info to come after we thrash the incoming protos!

I am amazed that MINI made a BIG change to spring rates and free lengths to the R56 platform - when I initially drove the car, I noted just how much less understeer there was from the factory and the spring rates don't lie!
Interesting... you're dropping the back LESS than the front! Like many, I'm looking to eliminate some torque steer while preserving the basic comfort level of my daily driver '08 MCS with sport suspension. Oddly, I found that in stock form the new MCS has less understeer than my '05 did.

Just my .02,

Your mileage may vary.....

Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 AM
TerryD
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hopper
Interesting... you're dropping the back LESS than the front! Like many, I'm looking to eliminate some torque steer while preserving the basic comfort level of my daily driver '08 MCS with sport suspension. Oddly, I found that in stock form the new MCS has less understeer than my '05 did.

Just my .02,

Your mileage may vary.....
I am just a few hundred miles into an 08 S and agree with your understeer observation. My 06 had understeer that I corrected with rsb and adj camber plates, shocks and some playing with springs. I will drive it more and do a track day before I do more than swap out the tires.
I am surprised there is so much suspension modification going on based on my initial impressions. Also, this may explain why there are so few dedicated parts available.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minihune
There are different concerns going on at the same time.

Ride height- do you want to be lower or same as stock.
Ride quality for street use- do you want more comfort or are you willing to compromise some comfort for better cornering.
Performance- is this a priority that you are willing to trade off vs comfort
Looks- is ride height important or not.

You can't generally change shocks for ride height adjustment. You can add lowering springs or upgrade the whole suspension like the JCW kit or a coilover kit.

On the older R50/R53 you could add Koni FSD shocks to help with both cornering and comfort.

You can always add upgraded shocks with lowering springs rather than just lowering springs. Using runflats makes the ride less comfortable. Try letting a little air pressure out.
Ya I left you little info, What I meant was to lower the car with springs like Eibach Pros, then change the shocks as well to shorter ones. Would this cause any extra wear on any other componets?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 AM
ichy600
1st Gear
I have the H&R springs on the cooperS r56....but I'm not happy about the look...the drop is not the same in the front and in the rear. my rear il a lot higher than the front ....anybody with my same problem???

Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
Mine isnt quite that high in the rear but there is a difference. I'm very satisfied with the look of my H&R springs

Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Can't wait to have an option a little less radical than the H&R for my daily driver.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
I was worried about the ride comfort and the scrapping issue, but I really don't have an issue with it. I would definitely do it again

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
anybody know why there is such a difference from the front and rear of pw/b one?

thinking about getting h&r's soon and I don't want that :P

Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dajiggalo
The lower the drop, the faster the stock shocks will wear out. The rest of the suspension should be OK.
Got to disagree ... it is not the fact that the springs lower the car that the shocks go bad fast ... if the rate and travel is the same (just shorter) all would be the same ...(unless just bottoming out and crazy low) ... it is the fact that the springs have different rates and travel that allow the shock to move in a shorter area that will harm the shock.

Still looking for info on OEM spring rates, very surprised that OEM #s and even #s for aftermarket are not known or have a WIDE range... and what was the formula to convert lbs/in to Kg ???

A stiffer spring rate will be over "sprung to shocks" you really dont feel it on compression, but you will on rebound.
The shock valveing is too free flowing (soft / fast) for the stiffer spring.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 AM
maxx629
2nd Gear
I did a search and cant find a thing. Anyone familiar with these? It looks like they are available.

B&G S2 Sport Springs - 08.1.178
Lowers - Front: 1in / Rear: 1in
Progressive Rate

#08.1.159 Fits these 2008 Mini Cooper Trims:

2008 Cooper 4 Cyl 1.6L Base FWD
2008 Cooper 4 Cyl 1.6L Clubman FWD
2008 Cooper 4 Cyl 1.6L S FWD
2008 Cooper 4 Cyl 1.6L S Clubman FWD

Last edited by maxx629; 08-08-2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: corrected Part #
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Got to disagree ... it is not the fact that the springs lower the car that the shocks go bad fast ... if the rate and travel is the same (just shorter) all would be the same ...(unless just bottoming out and crazy low) ... it is the fact that the springs have different rates and travel that allow the shock to move in a shorter area that will harm the shock.

Still looking for info on OEM spring rates, very surprised that OEM #s and even #s for aftermarket are not known or have a WIDE range... and what was the formula to convert lbs/in to Kg ???

A stiffer spring rate will be over "sprung to shocks" you really dont feel it on compression, but you will on rebound.
The shock valveing is too free flowing (soft / fast) for the stiffer spring.
Hmmmm... good point!... but most (if not all) aftermarket lowering springs have different rates thus wearing out the stock shocks a wee bit faster... as for the stock spring rates, I've been trying to find those out for awhile, and MINI USA themselves seem to want to avoid my inquiries....

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Bullswift
Neutral
H&R Springs looking for Shock Compliment

I just put on H&R springs on my MCS over the weekend, it rides a little rougher, but the performance is great in addition to my 19mm sway. Has anyone found an after market shock to compliment an 07 MCS with H&R Springs?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Sambo99
1st Gear
Heres another spring option...

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....rt_cd/NM558856

I am finding it difficult to get quotes for suspension to be shipped to Aus - anyone here had a good deal with. I have been talking to an Australian distributor re: the product above - has anyone fitted these springs yet? (knowing that they have only just been released...)

Old 11-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Bl4ze87
1st Gear
Anyone know about KW spings (for R56) ?

From Lohen site:

Ideal for road use, these springs lower the MINI slighty more than Eibach. With this in mind, not only will they look lower you will also notice a sportier ride than the Eibach springs, however they will give a slighty harder ride

So, they lower bit more than eibach?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Sambo99
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sambo99
Heres another spring option...

http://www.namotorsports.net/detail....rt_cd/NM558856

I am finding it difficult to get quotes for suspension to be shipped to Aus - anyone here had a good deal with. I have been talking to an Australian distributor re: the product above - has anyone fitted these springs yet? (knowing that they have only just been released...)
I decided to go for the above springs - They arrived yesterday and I have an appointment booked in at the suspension shop Wednesday next week. I will post photos of before and after the install (the drop is 1.2")

Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
what was the formula to convert lbs/in to Kg ???
1 lbs/in = 0.179 kg/cm
1 kg/cm = 5.588 lbs/in

1 lbs/in = 0.0179 kg/mm
1kg/mm = 55.88 lbs/in

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sambo99
I decided to go for the above springs - They arrived yesterday and I have an appointment booked in at the suspension shop Wednesday next week. I will post photos of before and after the install (the drop is 1.2")
Umm.... quite a few Wed's have come on gone.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
a

Last edited by TerryD; 01-15-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Sambo99
1st Gear
Hi All,
After having installed the NAM springs a couple of months ago, I must say that I am extremely satisfied with them. The ride quality is only marginally worse (passengers notice it - I don't... However it may be in their mind.. I am also still on runflats), turn in to corners feels a whole lot tighter (even less body roll), and the ride height is just right - the 17" wheels now fit the wheel arches perfectly. See below for some before and after shots - I tried to get the angle the same but unfortunately the photos were taken at different times of the day. The springs may have settled a touch more (attached photos were taken within a couple of days and only a handful of Kms)

Attached Thumbnails R56 lowering springs: options and specs-01_before.jpg   R56 lowering springs: options and specs-02_after.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 AM
kevinyu21
Neutral
any1 here tried VOGTLAND springs? how low can they go?

Quick Reply: Suspension R56 lowering springs: options and specs