R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Club door won't open

Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear that it's all fixed - Woottt....

Donna

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Ahchoo01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummed....

I just picked up my very own Clubman a week ago today. In fact, I was preparing to upload the pictures I took that first day on this forum.

Today, while showing the car to a friend, I went to open the club door, expecting a heartening "ooo" and "ahhhh."

Instead, I was shocked when I couldn't open it! I pulled the handle repeatedly but to no avail! It simply would not open!

I guess I can take solace in knowing that I'm not the only person that has had this problem. But nevertheless I'm bummed since I only picked up my Clubman a week ago.

It seems this problem is more pervasive than just a few isolated incidences. I'm hoping that this will be an easy fix as it seems to have been for some.

I was really looking forward to enjoying my car this weekend. I normally don't drive it during the week since I usually take public transportation (to and from work, etc). Now I'll have to spend my Saturday driving up to the dealership, which is 85 miles away, to have them look at the problem.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Be sure that your dealership has the part in stock before you drive all those 85 miles up there! My dealership had to order the part because these cars are so new here, that they don't always have extra parts on hand.

As far as I know it's an easy fix...so if they have the part (which you may well have already checked), then it shouldn't take too long I wouldn't think...

I know it's disappointing...and kind of when you are trying to show off your new Clubman.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:53 AM
majorbill11
1st Gear
count me in too

My club door started getting stuck this month. Will be taking it to dealer next week. Will let all know what comes of it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Club door guts/locking mechanism replacement: Backordered...

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Beach Girl Lynn
5th Gear
Hey, anyone else having this problem of the side Clubman door not opening more recently? I got my mini in July and I've had problems. It went back to the dealer for that plus I had a squeak in the back seat every time I went down rough patches of road. They fixed the door problem but now I couldn't open the door a couple of days ago. Today I opened it just fine. How is it it works one day and the next it doesn't budge? Frustrating.
I've had to have my mini in the shop already 2 times since I've gotten it for the squeak and now it may need to go back for the door.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I recently had mine in to replace the door sills poping up and they noticed the switch on the club door was defective and replaced that and the cable. Works great, not that it did not before. They just happened to notice it, ordered the parts and fixed it all at one time.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Bumping this up for those with the club door issues.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After 8 months my clubdoor finally stuck this afternoon. Has it been decided if it is just the button that is stuck or indeed a needed trip to the dealer for replacement? After reading thru a couple of the club door threads it doesn't seem to be clear.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Otra
6th Gear
It depends. Some have apparently fixed their particular problems with some silicone on the little black "button" or "It's a triangular shaped plastic tab in a small black retangular frame", but my cable had to be replaced, after which there was never another problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I sprayed silicone on the door's lower button lock and the inner mechanism, never had the problem comeback again. That door gets quite a bit of use too

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
java6673
1st Gear
Hey, FYI

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M51 11 08 dated October 2008.

designates changes to this revision

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SUBJECT[/SIZE][/FONT]
Club Door Opening Problems

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]MODEL[/SIZE][/FONT]
R55 (Cooper Clubman, Cooper S Clubman) produced up to 8/2008

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SITUATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Intermittently, when the passenger door is opened, the release lever on the club door does not release. As a result, the club door can not be opened via the pull handle on the inside of the door.

Manually pulling the release lever on the leading edge of the club door will allow it to be opened.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]CAUSE[/SIZE][/FONT]
The release lever on the club door is spring loaded so that it will release when the front door is opened. Incorrect Bowden cable routing leads to higher than expected static friction in the release lever mechanism which causes the release lever to stick in the depressed position.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]CORRECTION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Reroute and lubricate the Bowden cable for the release lever.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]PROCEDURE[/SIZE][/FONT]
  1. If the club door will not open, open the front door and pull the sticking release lever (1) away from the door. This will allow the door to be opened using the interior release handle.
  1. If the club door will not open, open the front door and pull the sticking release lever away from the door. This will allow the door to be opened using the interior release handle.
  2. Remove the club door trim panel per repair instruction RA 51 42 021.
  1. On the inside of the club door, inspect where the Bowden cable from the release lever (1) is routed through the door to the release handle. If the cable is routed through the outermost passage in the door (2), it must be removed and routed through the round inner passage (3) along with the 2 other cables.
  1. Spray a liberal amount of silicone spray into both ends of the Bowden cable.
  2. Only if the release lever is still stiff to move after performing steps 1-5, replace the release lever with an updated part. The updated release lever Bowden cable has a slightly more flexible sheathing, which allows the cable to move with less resistance. Steps 4 and 5 should be applied to the replacement release lever as well.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]PARTS INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Part Number
Description
Quantity
Locally sourced
Silicone lubricant spray
51 21 2 754 307
Release lever
1 – if needed
[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]WARRANTY INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Covered under the terms of the MINI New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
51 22 25 34 00
Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
51 42 021* **
Refer to KSD
Remove and install the club door trim panel
51 99 000
2 FRU
Work time to reroute the Bowden cable-if necessary
51 22 753 **
Refer to KSD
Remove and install the club door release lever-if
necessary
*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.
** Only one of these two labor operations may be claimed as the main labor operation is inclusive in the associated labor operation.
[SIZE=-2][ MINI, a division of BMW of North America, LLC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Copyright © 2008 BMW of North America, LLC ][/SIZE]

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 PM
spudworks03
Neutral
Thanks Java for the info! It'll come in handy if/when my clubdoor doesn't open...

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
java,

Thanks for the write up form Mini. Mine just stopped opening when the temperature dropped below 15 degrees today.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
I've had intermittent trouble with mine as well, though I so rarely open it. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Same here, door wouldn't open today. Got it unstuck and then found this thread. Looks like we'll have to get some silicone spray.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Saved a copy of the TSB above if I ever need it.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Our Clubdoor got stuck yesterday afternoon. It appears that the bottom plastic latch is not releasing all the way out when the front passenger door is opened. This is annoying to say the least. I sprayed some silicone on the bottom clubdoor latch release but in only improved some. The Clubdoor release latch is getting stuck 2 out of 3 opening tries.

I have sent my SA a copy of the TSB posted in this thread. Since our Clubman was built 1/2008 it falls within the range of affected vehicles. Maybe the stupid bowden cables inside the door need to be re-routed after all.

Annoying, annoying not to mention this is a safety issue. Always little annoying little problems with these cars because MINI can't seem to get basic mechanisms (Like a door latch) to work right from the get go.

-End of rant-

Last edited by ClubmanS; 04-01-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Sorry for the Clubdoor woes ClubmanS. I recently brought my Clubbie in for the headliner swap and I mentioned a squeaky rear seat latch and that the Clubdoor stuck once or twice. Both items were fixed (they did the reroute on the Clubdoor cable) and I've had no problems since. I hope it's not far to your dealer's, but I'm sure that they will fix it for you. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Thanks, Coopdy.

Yes, the car is booked in for tomorrow morning. Spraying some silicone did help but the latch is getting stuck about halfway when the front passenger door is opened. I think the "bowden" cables need to be re-routed inside the clubdoor. Not a biggie, but still inconvenient.

My dealer is 30 miles away and they do provide loaners, so that helps to mitigate some of the annoyance.

I wish the door had gotten stuck when I last took the car for maintenance 3 weeks ago. We'll see how it goes.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I am happy to report that the Clubdoor opened perfectly fine, after repeated opening and close cycles, this morning. It seems the silicone is now well settled in the latch mechanism. It no longer sticks either

I still think this part has a design defect (Poor lubrication), but I can happily live with every few months shots of silicone spray.

I canceled my dealer appt. My SA told me had I brought the car in today, I would have had to stay overnight. A little too much IMHO. I told him that I am going to keep an eye on it and if the door gets stuck again beyond reason, then I'll show up to have the TSB applied.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Even after getting the new switch and cable, mine got stuck. The suggestion to use silicone on the switch was rigtht on target. I shot the stuff up into the little hole where the cable goes. It was happening after washing the car or getting it wet in foul weather. Have not had the problem since. DO NOT USE

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
Even after getting the new switch and cable, mine got stuck. The suggestion to use silicone on the switch was rigtht on target. I shot the stuff up into the little hole where the cable goes. It was happening after washing the car or getting it wet in foul weather. Have not had the problem since. DO NOT USE AN OIL TYPE SOLVENT LIKE WD30 or it will goo up the mechanism. Has to be silicone lubricant. It has been many months since mine last stuck and the silicone has definately fixed this annoyance.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
That is good to hear. I am using Valvoline Pyroil Synthetic lubricant.

I am glad I canceled the appoint. Learning that you had the cable and latch replaced and you still had a stuck door episode after getting replaced, does not bode well.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 AM
reACTION
2nd Gear
My friend at work has a clubby with a stuck club door. Thanks everyone's input on the issue!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R55 Club door won't open