Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH OCC install with DDMworks Race Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSH OCC install with DDMworks Race Intake

I recently ordered a BSH Oil Catch Can (OCC) from WMW to help cut down on carbon buildup on the intake valves of my R56 MCS. When I started the OCC install I found out, much to my dismay, that with the DDMworks Race Intake System (RIS) installed, neither of the OCC mounting locations recommended by BSH could be used. The Intake hose from the DDMworks pressurized filter box fills the suggested OCC mounting location near the firewall and since the RIS retains the stock air inlet duct, the alternate mounting location for the OCC is also unavailable (the alternate location requires removal of the stock inlet duct).

I decided to poke around in the engine bay looking for another mounting location for the OCC. As we all know, there's not much empty space in there. Thankfully, I was able to come up with a solution which only required fabricating a simple mounting bracket about 4" longer than the one provided by BSH. I thought I'd post details on this install to save time for anyone else who finds himself in the same situation.

The picture below shows the engine bay with the DDMworks ram air intake installed:

The next image is the set of parts included in the BSH OCC kit:

Below the two mounting locations recommended by BSH are shown:

The next pic highlights the interference problem at the standard mounting location:

Here's a comparison of my custom bracket to the one from the kit:

The OCC installed with the custom bracket:

OCC hoses connected:

And finally, the finished result with the intake back in place:

If you read this far, I hope you enjoyed my post. While this mounting location does require removing the intake hose when emptying the OCC, that's a small price to pay for keeping the intake valves a bit cleaner.

Dave

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Patches
3rd Gear
Nice adjustment to save the install. I just ordered one of these for my '11 MCS and am wondering where it's going to fit in my engine bay - looks considerably different from yours.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Great Post, Thanks for thinking about the Members here!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good ol' American ingenuity .

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=Patches;3223116]Nice adjustment to save the install. I just ordered one of these for my '11 MCS and am wondering where it's going to fit in my engine bay - looks considerably different from yours.

That's one shiny new engine bay. You might check to see if the same little
"cubby hole" exists underneath the corner of the filter box on the 2011. Most of the aftermarket CAI's open up much more space near the firewall. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM
mkiiivr
2nd Gear
Thanks so much for the pictures. I just did the same on my 08 MCS with the DDM intake.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
LASRGUY
2nd Gear
Caution

I found out the hard way about a potentially dangerous issue with the DDMworks race intake. Due to an interference problem with the hood-mounted duct that is part of the kit, they have you replace the hard pipe from the vacuum booster to the brakes with a piece of flexible tubing. The hood duct can press on the flexible tubing causing it to pinch closed. When that happens, the power assist to the brakes doesn't work making it very hard to slow the car down. I narrowly avoided a crash when this happened to me. Please be very careful routing that hose! It was a very poor design choice on DDM's part to require removing the factory hard line. Shame on them.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I noticed the same thing when I installed mine. Ended up reverting back to the hard line. Overall, I wasn't too happy with the RIS hood panel. Besides the fitment issues, it wasn't really working well with my driving style and location. The box, by itself, is great for me and still keeps my intake temps down.