Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Clear Bra - Xpel Vs. Scotchgard Vs Ventureshield - Which is the best?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
MysticM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra - Xpel Vs. Scotchgard Vs Ventureshield - Which is the best?

In preparation of the arrival of my S, I spent the last 60 mins talking with 3 different installers of paint protection film - Xpel ; 3m Scotchgard & Ventureshield. As expected all 3 promoted their film technology. After further research, XPEL seems to have the most negative feedback so I am discounting that option.

So, my choice lies between the Scotchgard and Ventureshield - both owned by 3M. Scotchgard was 3M's film technology while Ventureshield was acquired by 3M a few years ago.

Does anyone here have any experience or comments on the Scotchgard or Ventureshield paint protection films?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't know about Scotchguard or Ventureshield. I purchased mines from Invisiblemask. I installed it myself and very please with the results. I've had it for 2 years now with no new "dings". Can't hardly tell it is there. The bra line is right at the top of the headlight.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
I'd advocate any kind of protecting film for the MINI. These cars have a lot of paint on front and with the sloping nose and notoriously thin paint, it collects rock chips easily.

After having the front of my car repainted, I had the 3M Scotchguard applied. I have had no issues with the product to date, and it's been on for over two years. I had the full kit installed which covered everything up front and my mirrors. It cost me about $450. I hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
I've had 3 or 4 XPEL clearbras over the years, and never had any problems at all. They have been around a long time, and its safe to say most people don't randomly decide to post about their clearbra being awesome. I would not hesitate to buy another XPEL product personally.

I've got the clearbra on mine installed by the dealer, but I have no idea which one it is.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM
MysticM
1st Gear
Kaneguy...beautiful Mini. You did a great job on the film install.

1 vote each for the 3 options...this is going to be tougher than I thought. I guess one way is to select the film kit which offers the best coverage.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
MINI11
3rd Gear
Personally, I would only use XPEL or anything manufactured by 3M (honestly, I thought XPEL is made from 3M products -- or at least, maybe it used to be if its not anymore). There is one brand, and I'm not sure of the name, but it has the words "CLEAR BRA" embossed into the hood piece usually... steer clear of that!! I've seen multiple yellowed and brittle.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
MysticM
1st Gear
XPEL is not made by 3M. Also the 3M films (Scotchgard and Ventureshield) offer lifetime warranty Vs. 7 years that XPEL offers. Also the XPEl warranty will only cover the film, not the installation unlike the 3M warranty.

Since I am a geek, I spent some time reviewing the UV weatherability (resistance to UV) and the 3M products clearly pass the 2 year exposure SAE test while the XPEL only passes the 1 year (per their web based product datasheets).

I am going to go with the 3M product for my Mini since there is not a significant difference in price between the XPEL and the 3M films according to the local installers I spoke to.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
MINI11
3rd Gear
Might as well get the 3M stuff then. I wonder what MINI put onto my car... although, its warrantied by the dealer anyway, so whatever.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
MysticM, at the time of purchase I also got the headlight kits too. The headlight gets cloudy after years abuse, I've seen some really beat up ones. I 've got them on my Mini and my headights are as clear as the day I installed the film. The picture attest to that. I live in Atlanta and commute 45 mile each way, all freeway. I highly recommend the headlight kits. FYI InvisbleMask also has a lifetime guarantee.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kaneguy
I also got the headlight kits too. The headlight gets cloudy after years abuse, I've seen some really beat up ones.
+1

Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 AM
MysticM
1st Gear
Yes, plan to get the headlight it as well. Thanks everyone.....Now the agonizing wait begins. I got a call from my motoring advisor stating that my car goes into production on Apr 14th.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Minimeemimi
Neutral
Originally Posted by MysticM
XPEL is not made by 3M. Also the 3M films (Scotchgard and Ventureshield) offer lifetime warranty Vs. 7 years that XPEL offers. Also the XPEl warranty will only cover the film, not the installation unlike the 3M warranty.

Since I am a geek, I spent some time reviewing the UV weatherability (resistance to UV) and the 3M products clearly pass the 2 year exposure SAE test while the XPEL only passes the 1 year (per their web based product datasheets).

I am going to go with the 3M product for my Mini since there is not a significant difference in price between the XPEL and the 3M films according to the local installers I spoke to.
Just wanted to correct you, so the folks have a clear understanding of the films.

3M Scotchal - 5 year warranty (when installed by a manufactures certifed installer)- covers removal, installation and materials

Ventureshield - 5 year warranty (when installed by a manufacturers certified installer)- covers materials only - and no longer covers yellowing - these changes took effect July 2010 (LIFETIME WARRANTY NO APPLIES)

XPEL - 7 year warranty - covers removal, installation and materials

Nano Fusion - lifetime (when installed by a manufacturers certifed installer) otherwise 7 years - covers removal, installation and materials

If you need to review the warranty cards PM me.

Last edited by Minimeemimi; 04-10-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
MysticM
1st Gear
Minimeemimi, I am merely stating what the local installers for the 3 films have told me. If the companies are not offering lifetime warranties, then perhaps these installers are willing to cover it for good 'customer service'.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Minimeemimi
Neutral
Everyone one, wants to be an expert.

Your posting provides miss information, incorrect information and misleading information. If you do no know the answer to a post - offer your opinion DO not state FACTs you can not confirm. Your original post does not state someone told you - you took it upon yourself to be an expert and portraided yourself as such.

Also if installers had in fact told you this information, they must not offer warranties nor have warranty cards. Just like any profession , if you are a professional ( have a business) in your field you certainly would know the warranty of the products you install.

Sorry I did not have my afternoon Joe.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
MysticM
1st Gear
Not sure what gave you the idea that I was portraying myself as an expert. Please re-read my first post. I am merely stating what information I gathered in my research as a consumer wishing to install the film on my car. Further, at the end of that post I even solicited advice from others (based on their experiences) on this fine forum.

I am a polymer scientist by education & profession so I am quite open to debating the film chemistry / technology with you any time. Just send me a PM and we can spend as much time as you want...I will even provide the virtual 'Joe' If you still feel that you are 'right' then so be it...you win.

Judging from your acerbic reply to my postings, I am guessing that you are an installer for one of the film brands. Do you care to confirm this?

Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
11cooperS
2nd Gear
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Minimeemimi
Neutral
Originally Posted by MysticM
Not sure what gave you the idea that I was portraying myself as an expert. Please re-read my first post. I am merely stating what information I gathered in my research as a consumer wishing to install the film on my car. Further, at the end of that post I even solicited advice from others (based on their experiences) on this fine forum.

I am a polymer scientist by education & profession so I am quite open to debating the film chemistry / technology with you any time. Just send me a PM and we can spend as much time as you want...I will even provide the virtual 'Joe' If you still feel that you are 'right' then so be it...you win.

Judging from your acerbic reply to my postings, I am guessing that you are an installer for one of the film brands. Do you care to confirm this?

You do not have to be an installer to be an informed buyer of a product. It sounds like you are the type of person, like me, that researches a product before purchasing. I would hope that each installation facility would provide detailed information to their prospective clients. As it sounded like the shops you spoke to didn't give you all the information, I wanted to outline each film manufacturer and their respective warranties to assist in your decision making process. There are other factors, along with price, that should play in to your decision making process... length of warranty, what the warranty covers, where you live (i.e., weather conditions), color of your vehicle, etc.

As for the UV weathering testing, this is a very small part in understanding the reason why you would want to choose one film over the other. Since XPEL has a 7 year warranty and 3M a 5 year warranty against yellowing, the 3M testing is really a mute point. If you are concerned about fading under the paint protection film, none of the paint protection films on the market will cause your paint to fade (Becareful some vendors are promoting clear vinyls as paint protection films).

Hope this helps. Oh rather than a cup of Joe, I had a fresh squeezed glass of lemonade...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
ventureshield FTW...at least in my case.

i got ventureshield on my 09 pwb/b MCS back in january 2009. the film covers the entire front of my aerokit to just past the headlamps, headlamps & fogs, front parts of my sideviews, the edge of my doors and the top of my boot bumper. my MINI spends about 1/3 of its time in the honolulu sun. i'm not the best at washing/waxing my car and when my MCS is dirty, you can definitely see the line on the hood. however, i've not noticed any yellowing or obvious signs of peeling or unseemly wear. also, when my car is properly washed and some attention is paid to using a microfiber to wipe the edges of the ventureshield, people who are as close as two to three feet away don't notice it's there unless i tell them. i am most satisfied about having chosen ventureshield and don't know of any reason at this time why i wouldn't choose that route again.

hope this is helpful to the OP.

ps. i think i might be able to dig up close ups of the venture shield from about a month or so after i got it put on. if anyone's interested in seeing them, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by devlynaskurt; 04-11-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: PS PM
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 AM
pjp98z
Neutral
The new XPEL Ultimate product actually has a 10 year warranty. You can find a video shot in Canada at the link below that should clear up the differences between the films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLirkRg6ke8

Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM
pbrock65
Neutral
Disappointed with Xpel

I guess I'm looking for a new clear bra for my '05 Corvette. Bought an Xpel Clear Bra 9 months ago and have had nothing but trouble. To be honest, some of it was caused by me due to lack of knowledge of the product. But once educated, I've done everything necessary to take care of my investment - ie; microfiber towels, don't run it through consumer car wash brush systems, etc.. But I've found out that even with microfiber towels, it is still possible to leave scratches on the film, which took me compounding and waxing 11 times each to get the scratches 95% out. Recently I found a small tear in the film on the hood, and while washing the car yesterday at the car wash another tear developed while using the wand to get bugs off the front end. I've had clear bra's on other cars and have never had the problems I've had with Xpel. I ran my other cars through car washes, used pressure washers on them and never scratched or tore them. I wish I knew what brands those were. I would recommend anybody stay away from Xpel. It is very high maintenance.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM
pbrock65
Neutral
Disappointed with Xpel

I guess I'm looking for a new clear bra for my '05 Corvette. Bought an Xpel Clear Bra 9 months ago and have had nothing but trouble. To be honest, some of it was caused by me due to lack of knowledge of the product. But once educated, I've done everything necessary to take care of my investment - ie; microfiber towels, don't run it through consumer car wash brush systems, etc.. But I've found out that even with microfiber towels, it is still possible to leave scratches on the film, which took me compounding and waxing 11 times each to get the scratches 95% out. Recently I found a small tear in the film on the hood, and while washing the car yesterday at the car wash another tear developed while using the wand to get bugs off the front end. I've had clear bra's on other cars and have never had the problems I've had with Xpel. I ran my other cars through car washes, used pressure washers on them and never scratched or tore them. I wish I knew what brands those were. I would recommend anybody stay away from Xpel. It is very high maintenance. I will probably have it removed and just eat the loss since the warranty won't cover it.