Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2011 Mini Cooper S Battery/Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
egotripcat
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mini Cooper S Battery/Ignition Issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm having issues with my 2011 Mini Cooper S hardtop. My car has been at the MINI dealer 4 times now with no avail. Each time it seems like my battery just goes dead or so it seems. The first time it happened, it was pretty apparent that the battery was having issues, each time I went to start the car it seemed a little sluggish to turn over. So I got a jump, took it to the dealer and the dealer replaced the battery. The second time, I was out running errands. The car sat in the parking lot for 30 minutes, I came out to start the car, the car was dead, needed a jump. Took the car to the dealer, they thought it was the computer, but since it wasn't substantiated enough, MINI wouldn't authorize the replacement. Battery was good so they didn't replace it. So after a week or so I got my car back, no fix. The day after I picked up my car from the dealer, in the morning, again, car is dead. The car won't turn over, but everything else seems to come on fine, interior lights, radio, etc. Threw on the quick charger and sure enough, battery was down. Short while after, car started and took it back to MINI. No fix as the diagnostics showed that everything checked out okay. Got the car back again after a week, which was this past Wednesday. No issues starting or anything. Drove it home with hopes that it would survive at least a few days, but no luck. Next morning on Thursday, again the car wouldn't start. This time I heard a light static sound coming from the speakers and everything else was fine, lights, windows, etc. Not sure if speakers are the issue, maybe they're staying on and drawing down the battery. Well, here's the kicker..... This morning, Monday, got in the car and it started, no problems. I didn't charge the battery or anything. It's weird and has me wondering if it's now an ignition or starter issue. Has anyone had any issues like this with their MINI's? I'm getting frustrated by the whole thing. Any ideas will certainly help. Thanks