Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New MCS Owner - Cheap Mod Suggestions

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MCS Owner - Cheap Mod Suggestions

Hi all! Just picked up a MCS R53 6spd the other day - first MINI & first post here on NAM. (longtime BMW guy)

I live in Minneapolis & needed to pickup a car I could DD year-round with good gas mileage for my lengthy commute. (just benched my E36 BMW 318ti M-tech M50 swap/track project as I found she won't move in the snow - even with winter shoes)

I've almost had the MINI for a week now - love it, peppy, rides on rails, & is a beast in the snow with DSC, FWD & a new set of Blizzaks (aside from bottoming out in the deep snow).

Anyway, I'm looking for some input as to some cheap mods for her. Not interested in messing with the supercharger (yet), first priority is to make her sound more aggressive, as IMO she sounds like a toy (compared to my BMW - no offense, guys).

I'm not on a set budget per say - just don't want to drop too much cash right off the bat as she's my "practical yet fun DD".

I'm thinking of:
1) One-Ball Mod (quote from local shop for $60-70 - not bad at all)
2) CAI: looks like most guys on here like the ALTA - but I'm skeptical about creating annoying supercharger whistle/whine (I'd ideally like a more throaty engine noise - & to minimize super squeal). Is ALTA the way to go?
3) ??? - open to suggestions on what's next

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited by DanOx; 12-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
The supercharger will whine [R53s do that when the pedal is pressed all the way down], anyway, so who cares if the CAI squeals...really?

A 15% reduction pulley will give you more guts. I'd go with an ECU tune, too.

BTW...WELCOME!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
The supercharger will whine [R53s do that when the pedal is pressed all the way down], anyway, so who cares if the CAI squeals...really?

BTW...WELCOME!
This.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM
03EmCeeS
3rd Gear
What's considered cheap?

$200 on eBay will get you an OBX header shipped to your door if you find the right deal. That'll help with the sound you're looking for. You could replace the cat with a straight pipe as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Another $200 will get you the WMW pulley package, which gives you the pulley, tensioner stop, shorter belt and colder range spark plugs. Easily the best mod for the money to a Mini.

Not sure on your mileage, but check your bypass valve. They tend to not shut completely, which causes you to lose boost. $125 will get you a Detroit Tuned BPV (bypass valve), or you can take the stock one apart and install a stiff spring.

You could make an intake yourself for much less than the units that are for sale online. All depends on your preference there.

After that, prices start to rise. Cat-back systems are a few hundred more than the header, and any other real power in the motor at that point is going to come from a ported and polished head, more aggressive cam, etc. A tune is a good idea as well, but really doesn't make much sense until you have some parts on there that warrant the adjustment.

Another thing to consider if you go pulley and exhaust is new injectors. That setup will essentially max out the stock injectors. If you don't plan to go much deeper with performance upgrades, grab some 380cc injectors, which came stock in the JCW. If a ported head or anything like that interests you, I'm then partial to the 550cc, which give you room to play with. The 380s can be dropped in and run without a tune, but the 550s will need a tune for the ecu to recognize their flow rate.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM
MINIng
2nd Gear
While the one-ball mod is probably the best bang for buck at just $60, its tempting, but I would go for a CAI in your case. I choose the CravenSpeed CAI, which has an air box like the JCW. It has a good throaty sound (and I can sometimes hear it sucking in air between shifts, but don't tell anyone I said that). The only thing bad about the CAI was the install. It wasn't a perfect fit, and you definitely should get a new intake tube.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DanOx
...I live in Minneapolis & needed to pickup a car I could DD year-round with good gas mileage for my lengthy commute...
Leave it stock and maintain it (replace worn parts, replace fluids, scheduled services, etc).

You shouldn't modify the car that you're relying on for a 'lengthy commute'. Spend the money keeping it in great working order.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dark

Leave it stock and maintain it (replace worn parts, replace fluids, scheduled services, etc).

You shouldn't modify the car that you're relying on for a 'lengthy commute'. Spend the money keeping it in great working order.
Too bad I don't have that kind of attitude I'm already planning my next set of mods while still waiting on a BSH mount and haven't installed my ATI super damper yet and my R53 is my daily (and only) vehicle.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Me too Weasal!!!

Hi Gen 1 peeps!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
Too bad I don't have that kind of attitude I'm already planning my next set of mods while still waiting on a BSH mount and haven't installed my ATI super damper yet and my R53 is my daily (and only) vehicle.
More power to you! I'm sure those that modify their DD's already understand the increased chances of an issue keeping them from making a few trips.

I have been there and done that (when I was younger) so the desire to drive worry free to far greater than that of more power. Then again, I have two vehicles so if one craps out I won't get stuck waiting for repairs.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Noir2005
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 03EmCeeS
What's considered cheap?

$200 on eBay will get you an OBX header shipped to your door if you find the right deal. That'll help with the sound you're looking for. You could replace the cat with a straight pipe as well if you're into that sort of thing.
If I may make a slight change to that. I see OBX's going for 165 right now on there, However, I also see a Performance Racing Header set for 199. I would recommend the 200 dollar set since it's made out of 304 stainless steel, and not mild steel like the OBX's, as well as a flex mesh assembly built into it instead of the ball-type gasket assembly for the OBX.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Personally I'd skip those mods to start with. You can just get a pulley kit and that will give you way more power than those mods for similar money.

If you want an intake go with the DDM intake, its our most popular intake and fits great.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a header till you start doing cam, and tune mods..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Pssst... Listen to Way.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
15% pulley, CAI (I have Dinan one and love it), colder plugs, Detroit Tuned belt tensioner. Makes a huge diff

Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Look under "dorky cheapskate modifications" thread for ideas.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield

BTW...WELCOME!
Good point on the super's whine.

Pulley & ECU would be nice, but don't think I want to do that on my "practical year-round daily driver"... yet.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 03EmCeeS
What's considered cheap?

Another $200 will get you the WMW pulley package, which gives you the pulley, tensioner stop, shorter belt and colder range spark plugs. Easily the best mod for the money to a Mini.

Not sure on your mileage, but check your bypass valve. They tend to not shut completely, which causes you to lose boost. $125 will get you a Detroit Tuned BPV (bypass valve), or you can take the stock one apart and install a stiff spring...
Thanks for all the info! I like the header idea... & good tip on the bypass valve. I'll check that out!

(Perhaps I'll put the WMW package on the wish list...)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM
kromdom
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dark

+100

Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Man, the stock guys are probably right, but I don't know if I can hold off after moding/tracking BMWs. Even if she is my family-friendly-practical-year-round-daily-driver...

It's just the stock sound that bugs me the most... She's a peppy rail runner, but sounds like a toy. (IMHO, no offense MINI enthusiasts - again, new owner here)

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
Look under "dorky cheapskate modifications" thread for ideas.
Ha! Thought you were making fun of me at first... Then saw it was a real thread. Good stuff.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
If you really want noise, get a Magnaflow exhaust. Heard they're noisy as hell. Janspeed headers unleash a pretty raw noise, too. Check the videos on YouTube. I'm getting a Milltek catback soon, but the other thing I thought sounded very nice, especially under acceleration was the Jetex catback.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The WMW supercharger kit is the best bang for the buck power mod out there IMO.

The ATI damper pulley is worth it to do on all used Minis as well....that's preventative maintenance.

- Andrew

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DanOx
Hi all! Just picked up a MCS R53 6spd the other day - first MINI & first post here on NAM. (longtime BMW guy)

I live in Minneapolis & needed to pickup a car I could DD year-round with good gas mileage for my lengthy commute. (just benched my E36 BMW 318ti M-tech M50 swap/track project as I found she won't move in the snow - even with winter shoes)

I've almost had the MINI for a week now - love it, peppy, rides on rails, & is a beast in the snow with DSC, FWD & a new set of Blizzaks (aside from bottoming out in the deep snow).

Anyway, I'm looking for some input as to some cheap mods for her. Not interested in messing with the supercharger (yet), first priority is to make her sound more aggressive, as IMO she sounds like a toy (compared to my BMW - no offense, guys).

I'm not on a set budget per say - just don't want to drop too much cash right off the bat as she's my "practical yet fun DD".

I'm thinking of:
1) One-Ball Mod (quote from local shop for $60-70 - not bad at all)
2) CAI: looks like most guys on here like the ALTA - but I'm skeptical about creating annoying supercharger whistle/whine (I'd ideally like a more throaty engine noise - & to minimize super squeal). Is ALTA the way to go?
3) ??? - open to suggestions on what's next

Cheers,
Dan
Great choice, must be a blast driving it in the snow. Here in Southern California we don't typically have the opportunity to drive in the snow. People are still wearing shorts and flip flops during our winters. Here are a couple links to some free tech articles on the Mini and the E36.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Tech_Index.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../tech_main.htm

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
If you think driving your MCS is fun now, just do what WAY and others say and do the 15% pulley. If you delay, you're just missing out and will kick yourself for putting it off. What's the sense of just making noise if you don't get the performance to go with it?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S that is my daily driver. It has a 15% pulley upgrade, a K&N Typhoon Air Intake, the One Ball Exhaust Mod and the car is reliable and fun fun fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain New MCS Owner - Cheap Mod Suggestions