General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More F56 spy photos inside and out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
More F56 spy photos inside and out.

The 2014 MINI (F56) Spied Inside and Out

The F56 is in its final stages of development ahead of a launch late this year and currently test mules are buzzing around Germany. It’s given us a chance to look at the car with its final shape emerging thanks to the lack of heavy plastic cladding. It’s also interesting to see some of the options we reported on earlier this year finally appear on near production models. Before we talk options (which will recap in a future post) let’s take stock and what these photos from Paultan.org show us.

• Look closely just behind the front wheel and you’ll notice a bulge – likely where the side repeater is. We were incorrect that it will be on the mirror and have confirmed through multiple sources it’s staying in its current position.
  • Are these xenon lights or LEDs? We’re guessing the former but regardless of light we’ve heard that the entire mechanism will swivel and a much quick rate than the current MINI set-up.
  • A clearer shot of the Rocketman-like grill.
  • Since this is a Cooper model it’s difficult to say what MINI will do in terms of design for the MCS but we’ve heard that designers have made sure there is a clear distinction between the two.
  • The belt line either appears to be higher or the drive is sitting lower than normal.
  • The entire door handle will pivot from the front much like BMWs – no more squeezing to open.
  • The headlights have moved a bit more forward facing similar to the Rocketman concept.
  • There’s a small connecting piece of plastic from the rear hatch to the spoiler that looks to be a new aero piece. Interestingly it also makes the spoiler look like a little like the GP’s.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
The dash is an abomination, but despite the camo, it is very clearly a MINI. Also, I noticed that the shifter is similar to what is in current BMWs. It works similarly to the turn signal and wiper stalks in Gen 2 MINIs.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll reserve judgment on the interior -- it's still awfully difficult to discern even in these latest spy shots. That said, it looks better than I was fearing.

On the whole I'm liking how the F56 is coming together, so far -- definitely evolutionary rather than revolutionary, just as a MINI should be.

It would be great -- and I'm sure someone eventually will -- to have a photoshoot of the 3 generations of MINI in side-by-side comparison.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm actually going to love the Cooper S, JCW, and when the GP3 will come out😜. The front end will look pretty sweet with the grill. As for the rear of the F56, I'm going to have to fall in love with it, somehow. Still hate the speedometer, wish it had the radio in the middle but like the GPS, with the speedometer layout in the whole circle that MINI does for the R55-R61.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
I want to know what the note on the dash on the passenger's side says in the interior shots.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
I want to know what the note on the dash on the passenger's side says in the interior shots.
"Gotchya MINI enthusiasts!!!"

Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
"Gotchya MINI enthusiasts!!!"

Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Tillos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
All I can make it out is that it says 'achtung' (caution). We need some hollywood fancy-shmancy image processing and a german to translate.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tillos
All I can make it out is that it says 'achtung' (caution). We need some hollywood fancy-shmancy image processing and a german to translate.
Exactly what I saw and thought !!!

+1!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
LOL! Well, I do speak a little German, and I also made out the achtung piece. It probably says, "Warning! If you put up your arm to block the paparazzi, it won't work, and you'll look like an idiot."