R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What's the avg or starting yearly salary for Mini Motoring Advisors?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the avg or starting yearly salary for Mini Motoring Advisors?

I was just thinking how cool of a job it would be to sell minis. Does anyone know how much they make? Or if any MAs are on here if you don't mind sharing??

Old 09-18-2006, 04:00 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
I was just thinking how cool of a job it would be to sell minis. Does anyone know how much they make? Or if any MAs are on here if you don't mind sharing??
PM C4. He tried it for awhile recently and then bailed. You can probably figure out why.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
PM C4. He tried it for awhile recently and then bailed. You can probably figure out why.
the crazy soon to be owners calling every hour to ask what stage their MINI is in at that point?

Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
the crazy soon to be owners calling every hour to ask what stage their MINI is in at that point?
I think the hours worked vice the pay is a big issue

Old 09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Jayde
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every dealer has a different pay rate.... We here in Oklahoma for instance make a salary plus a set commission on the MINI. We make the same commission on a $18,000 MINI as we would on a $45,000 MINI... And we only sell MINIs, whether they are new or used!!

I know that doesn't help much, but its what I can give!!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniChristina
Here in Chicago, we are 100% commission and we work about 47-50 hours each week... and that doesn't count having to come in on our day off to accomadate a customers schedule. It's not a job to go into strictly for the money... you have to love the product and job to do well.

Hope this helps.
At what age do you start hiring at? Im looking for a real job. And an MA to me, would be the perfect real job. (And I already work 45-50hours a week at my part-time, just above minimum wage job at a grocery store)

Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 PM
revmini
2nd Gear
I have no clue on the pay, but is seems like a pretty easy job.

I was in the other day to my MINI dealer. The MAs were there, but doing nothing for about an hour. Just hanging out chating, doing whatever they wanted. Yes they were at work, but not working.

I can see how they might get annoyed by customers always wanting to know what is going on with their car. That part might suck.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 PM
bluestone
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by revmini

I was in the other day to my MINI dealer. The MAs were there, but doing nothing for about an hour. Just hanging out chating, doing whatever they wanted. Yes they were at work, but not working.

I can see how they might get annoyed by customers always wanting to know what is going on with their car. That part might suck.
just like firemen. anyone have a fire station near their place? the firemen just hang around, drinking coffee, shooting the sh--, ogling the women who walk by... they looked so bored, i went and started a fire in a garbage can just to give them something to do.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 AM
1wander
2nd Gear
One thing it seems, you really don't have to be much of a salesman to be a mini motor advisor. The car sells itself, and everyone who comes in really wants one.

Seriously though, there is some closing ability required. Sales is not for everybody. It's hard work. I've walked into Mini dealerships and seen the "salesmen" doing what appeared to be cold calling. When business is slow you gotta do the pound the pavement work.
Plus, I'm sure a mini motor advisor does a whole lot of hand holding and extra customer interfacing for their measly commission compared to a regular car salesman.

I wouldn't want that job for anything.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
hugh
5th Gear
I asked an MA if she had a Mini Cooper and she said no, she couldn't afford one. (true story) BTW, she no longer works there.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Most of the MAs at my local dealer have been there for over 2 years. So they either make good $ or are able to live with the low income. Noone on the staff except the Sales Manager drives a MINI. And he drives a 06 MCS JCW checkmate haha

Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 AM
AggieMini
4th Gear
ALL but ONE at my dealership drive a Mini

Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Greg S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by revmini

Just remember that when they are 'doing nothing' they are also making nothing. I've been in and around commission sales for 20 years and it really sucks when there is no traffic flow in the store because you are bored out of your mind and you know you aren't making any money.

If you get annoyed at customers asking lots of questions then you should be in a different line of work. Or at least be able to completely hide that it is annoying.

The biggest deal with a commission retail job is that you have to work when other people don't so that you are available to them. If you are not then you won't make a sale and you won't make any money. This means you work on the evenings and weekends. I like sales and the industry I'm in enough that I did give up SCCA racing and having normal days off years ago to work weekends. It's getting to the point where I would really like to have at least on weekend day back but I'd have to change jobs as 80% of my business is on the weekends.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 AM
gstockmini
2nd Gear
At my dealer(MINI of St. Louis), all of the MAs had a MINI of some sort to drive. One of the MAs even said that he had an MCS before he started there, and his wife had an MC, and after he started he sold his MCS to drive a dealer car, and his wife sold her MC and upgraded to an MCS! My MA actually doesn't work there anymore; something about going out to Arizona to pursue a golf career!

I don't know that it will help much, but I have a close friend who works at the local Honda dealer and told me that an average month for him(working a base + commision) is $4000-$5000 gross/month! He showed me his commission take-home for last month, and it was almost $9K! He works his butt of, though, and is very dedicated to his job. I've gone in before and he'll have an hour and a half to chit-chat with me, and other times he's been so swamped I can't even say hi! I'm 26 by the way, and he is 30. We used to work together at a car audio shop where we were both salesmen. He quit, and I went to the install bay!

There is another salesman at that same dealer who is the undefeated top seller, and I'm told his yearly gross is always above $100K. Take into consideration, though, that if he is at a social event, he is there to work the crowd and stir-up sales. He works even when he's not at work! That's not the job for me.....

Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
As much fun as MINIs are, and as enthusiastic as we all are about them, I would imagine that the role of an MA is very stressful. I'm quite sure that there are quotas they have to meet each month, and they have to have a contingency for what happens if they don't sell any cars. They might have one week where they sell five cars, and another where they don't sell anything. They have to be financially disciplined enough that if they DO have a month where they make a lot of money, they don't blow it all, so that they have some left if the next month is slow. I do agree that MINIs seem to sell themselves, but I've been at the dealership when people came in just out of curiosity, and the MA really had to work with them. Not everyone who comes in knows that they want to buy.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy revived old thread, Batman !